The Valmarana family has very ancient origins: we find the first written sources in 1174 when a member of the family is cited as archdeacon of the Vicenza Cathedral; in 1260 Bonazonta is considered “homo molto amato dal popolo” (a man very much liked by his people) and Bugarando, one of the most powerful enemy of the tyrant Ezzelino da Romano. Around 1300 the family splits in three branches: the Villa ai nani was bought by the S. Faustino branch to which it still belongs.
Major works were done by the great architect Andrea Palladio for the Valmarana family. Further, around 1561 thanks to their support, he would be commissioned the reconstrucion of the Basilica in piazza dei Signori in Vicenza and 5 years later (1566) he will be entrusted by Leonardo Valmarana to design his palace in Corso Fogazzaro.
The grand Cappella Valmarana in the cript of the Church of Santa Corona is also by Palladio while it is only attributed to him the Loggia Valmarana in the Porta Castello garden.