The Villa was built in 1669 on behalf of the lawyer Giovanni Maria Bertolo, who left it to his daughter Giulia, nun at the Padua Monastery of Ognissanti. In 1715 Giustino Valmarana bought the Villa directly from the Monastery. He enlarged the property and called the Architect Francesco Muttoni, who developed the Entrance, the Stables and the Foresteria. The particular and the architectural decorations are by Gerolamo Mengozzi Colonna. Giustino Valmarana died in June 1757 while the Tiepolos were fininshing (in only four months) the frescoes. The story tells that Giambattista, upon the news of Goiustino’s death, left immediately for Venice, fearing that the heirs were not going to be as generous as the father. But the opening of the will straightened the situation: the foresighted Giustino had left a good number of “zecchini d’oro” to honour his debt with the Tiepolos. Thus, on his deathbed, Count Giustino earned the grateful memory of his descendants and of the art lovers.
The legend tells of a dwarf princess who lived secluded in the Villa surrounded by dwarfs. Upon seeing a beautiful prince in the garden, she realized her handicap and threw herself from the tower. The pain the dwarfs felt for the princess transformed them into statues of stone.