Villa Valmarana ai Nani is a marvellous architectural and artistic site composed by three buildings and a wide 18th century park.
The three buildings, the Palazzina (Owners’ Residence) (1669), the Foresteria (Guest-House) and the Scuderia (Stables) (1720) are surrounded by green areas designed to respond to the different esthetical tastes and functional needs: ranging from the “giardino all’italiana” with the pigeon-house and the well, to the walk under the hornbeams, to the Pagoda in the woods.
The Palazzina and the Foresteria have frescoes by Giambattista and Giandomenico Tiepolo, hired in 1757 by Giustino Valmarana. The Villa takes its name from the statues of the 17 stone dwarfs, originally placed in the garden, now on the walls surrounding the house. Among them, we find a number of characters from the “Teatro dei burattini” and from the “Commedia dell’arte” (the King, the Soldier, the Doctor, the Turk, the Guardian of the Seraglio, etc.). The dwarfs were probably sculpted by Francesco Uliaco, most likely from the drawings by Giandomenico Tiepolo.
The Valmarana family still lives in the Villa, which is universally considered the highest expression of the painting of the eighteenth century and one of the highest examples of the Tiepolo’s genius.